The Education Foundation of Alachua County, Inc.
The Education Foundation of Alachua County is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization located in Gainesville, Florida whose mission is to invest in the future of Alachua County Public School students and teachers. Founded in 1986, The Education Foundation has an annual operating budget of roughly $1.2M and approximately $4.6M in total assets.
The Executive Director is the senior operating officer of the Education Foundation. This position is responsible for the overall direction and management of the organization and its operations. This individual should possess outstanding organizational and leadership abilities with an analytical mind capable of thinking outside the box, and excellent oral, written and public speaking skills. The Executive Director works closely with the Foundation board in raising funds from the community and collaborates with the school system to develop and implement programs. A strong commitment to the mission of the Foundation is crucial. Specific responsibilities and essential functions include:
Fiscal Management and Oversight
• Provide oversight on all financial transactions of The Education Foundation of Alachua County.
• Work with the Finance Director, Finance Committee and Board of Directors in developing a budget and assuring that The Education Foundation operates within an approved annual budget.
• Manage the fiduciary responsibility of The Education Foundation regarding funds held for others.
• Ensure compliance with all government regulations and grant requirements.
• Work with audit team to ensure the completion of an annual audit.
• Prepare a long-range plan ensuring the financial health of The Education Foundation of Alachua County
Fundraising and Development
• Identify and pursue opportunities for private funding for all foundation programs with the involvement of the Board of Directors.
• Develop and advance annual plan for fundraising
• Responsible for grant writing
• Plan and execute all fundraising events.
• Responsible for stewardship of all gifts and established funds as well as cultivating positive donor relations.
Programs and Administration
• Collaborate with the Board of Directors to identify, create and implement strategic plans to carry out business objectives.
• Manage and monitor day-to-today operations of The Education Foundation.
• Identify, recruit, train and develop a talented team of employees who can lead critical departments and manage strategic business functions.
• Supervise and evaluate all Foundation staff in carrying out all programs and required grant, financial and legal reporting.
• Under direction of Board, establish and implement policies and procedures for all operations and assure compliance.
• Manage information flow to all Board members, prepare agenda, reports and materials for Board and committee meetings.
Communication and Public Relations
• Represent the organization at social and corporate events in ways that strengthen the brand and communicate the Foundation’s message.
• Articulate the Foundation’s mission and programs to all audiences, developing and maintaining relationships with diverse groups.
• Build alliances with other organizations in the interest of furthering progress toward The Education Foundation’s charitable goals.
• Seek out new opportunities to engage community groups, maintain positive legislative and school system relationships.
• A Bachelor’s degree in Business Management or a related field with at least 5-7 years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Demonstrated success in fundraising and growing, cultivating, stewarding and retaining a donor base.
• Proven track record of leading, inspiring, engendering good will with multiple constituencies toward encouraging long term support of the organization and its charitable mission.
• Managing a budget approximating $1 million or higher.
• Oversee an investment portfolio and temporarily restricted funds.
• Demonstrated record of direct participation in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major charitable gifts.
• Knowledge of planned giving tools.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully communicate a vision and generate enthusiasm and action toward a goal.
• Demonstrated integrity and adherence to high ethical standards.
• Demonstrated fiduciary responsibility toward an organization.
• Demonstrated ability to balance the business requirements of an organization with the professional needs of donors.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to effectively represent an organization to diverse audiences.
• Demonstrated ability to think and plan strategically and implement plans to accomplish organizational mission and goals.
• Proven analytical skills with a track record of anticipating potential problems and successfully addressing/resolving them.
• Facilitative approach to leadership. Demonstrated ability to successfully build consensus and high performing teams among diverse stakeholders, to constructively resolve conflict and effectively negotiate compromise.
• Experience working with boards of directors and volunteer leaders.
• Track record of successful networking and demonstrated ability to leverage the connections to the charitable entity’s benefit.
• Effective public speaker.
• All offers of employment at The Education Foundation of Alachua County are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check as required by federal, state, and local agencies.
• Proof of employment eligibility as required by law.
• Proof of any diplomas or degrees indicated as a core qualification.
As an equal opportunity employer, The Education Foundation of Alachua hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, genetics, gender identity or expression, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.
Reports To: Education Foundation Board of Directors
For consideration, please send a cover letter and resume to Careers@EdFoundationAC.org.