5th Annual Career Discoveries Day
The Greater Gainesville Chamber?s Alachua County Education Compact strive to provide middle and high school students and parents with meaningful experiences that will enhance skills to improve their college and career readiness opportunities by providing them with tools for their career pathways.
Career Discoveries Day offers students a chance to learn more about
exciting options in the Alachua County.
As a professional, you can directly respond to student questions regarding the joys and challenges of your profession and offer them individual advice on required training and networking for their career choices.
We hope you will take advantage of the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of our young adults by participating in this years' event. Please RSVP at;
Thank you for your commitment to our students and community, and we look forward to your participation in Career Discoveries Day.
Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org
Why participate and what will I do at the Career Discoveries Day?Attending a Career Discoveries Day gives you the chance to talk face-to-face with future employees of Alachua County and share potential career paths they might otherwise not know be considering. You will be talking to students and answering questions such as:
- Tell me about your career and how you got into the field?
- What does your typical workday look like and what type of equipment or tools do you use?
- How much money do you make?
- What was your educational path to your career?
- What were high school courses essential to your career?
- What does your company make/do?
- Does your company have any internships or job opportunities?
- What is the job outlook for your career field?
What do I bring?Students love giveaways!
- Bring any relevant information you may have about your field and career path.
- Bring games about your industry sector to engage the students.
- Bring candy?this will get students to stop and give you an opportunity to start a conversation.
- Bring business cards, visuals, and a company banner to display. Anything with your logo and company information is a great way to advertise.
What can I do to encourage students to come to visit my booth?
Again, students love giveaways, but another way to entice students is to have a visual demonstration. This gets them excited about what they are learning and hopefully will ask more and more questions. For example:
A chef may want to perform a food demonstration
A police officer may want to conduct a lie detector test on students. The possibilities for creativity are endless.
How many representatives can attend?
We would appreciate each employer bring as many representatives to interact with the students.
Where are Career Discoveries Days being hosted?
Career Discoveries Day will be held in the mall area of Buchholz High School.
Where do I park?
The beauty of Career Discoveries Day being held on the weekend
is parking on campus will be available. There will be plenty of
parking by the in Buchholz main parking lot.
When should I get there to set-up?
Vendors will be able to begin the set-up
process at 7:30 a.m.; Career Discoveries Day
runs from 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 pm.
We will do our best to accommodate you if
you need a power source, however, it is not
guaranteed. There are a limited number of
power outlets available, so please plan accordingly.
We will also provide an 8-foot table.
Best Regards, Ian R. Fletcher
Vice President of Education and Talent Alignment
Greater Gainesville Chamber of Commerce